Most homeowners, if they’re lucky, have never had to schedule roofing repairs or have only had to do so a couple of times. In other words, most people are pretty unfamiliar with roofing repair. Today, we’re here to enlighten you by going over some important roofing repair dos and don’ts.
Roofing Repair Dos:
- Do hire a professional- Any task that involves heights should be handled by a professional. More importantly, roofing repairs need to be done by a professional because skilled roofers know how to do a thorough job without damaging any other part of the roof in the process.
- Do ask for a quote- Know what you’re getting into before you hire the first roofing contractor you come across. Getting a quote allows you to determine whether the price is extremely low or high, which may be a sign you should look for another roofer.
- Do repair issues sooner rather than later- If you notice a roofing issue but you’re not ready to throw your money at getting it repaired, think again. Postponing roofing repair can make the problem worse in some cases, which means you’ll have to pay more later on.
Roofing Repair Don’ts:
- Don’t put off repairs until winter- Roofing repairs can be done in the winter, but it’s best to avoid doing them during that season, if possible. The cold can affect the materials being used, which affects the quality of the repairs.
- Don’t neglect your roof after a major storm- After a major storm, it may be worthwhile to at least schedule an inspection. If your roof has any hail damage, broken shingles, or other problems, you’ll be able to get them repaired right away instead of waiting for them to reveal themselves.
- Don’t forget to schedule maintenance- Roofing repairs are important, but maintenance can often help you avoid them. Annual or biannual maintenance will do your roof a lot of good.